The Foundation for the National Institutes of Health (FNIH) seeks a Development Associate (DA) to enhance its talented team of fundraisers working to secure support for multi-million dollar biomedical research programs, training initiatives, and events. The DA will assist with fundraising and obtaining other resources for FNIH programs and National Institutes of Health (NIH) initiatives. Work will focus on one or more programmatic or therapeutic areas as necessary and appropriate. Reporting to the Development Officer, the DA will work closely with other Development staff and other program and administrative staff at the FNIH and the NIH.
• Aid the Development Officer in managing of a portfolio of diverse corporate and foundation funders, liaise with an assigned therapeutic area, scout new funding opportunities, and participate in fundraising for other programs as needed.
• Lead, as appropriate, engagement with FNIH departments such as Communications & Events, Contracts & Grants, Finance, and Research Partnerships.
• Develop fundraising materials for events and programs.
• Conduct prospect research and vetting of donors.
• Maintain committee and team lists for Development and ensure accurate and frequent updates are noted in Raiser’s Edge and in other FNIH records as needed.
• Aid in coordinating event and education/training fundraising, schedule regular team meetings, generate and circulate meeting agendas and minutes, maintain and distribute materials and reports.
• Track own outreach in Raiser’s Edge and coordinate with Development Officer to ensure records are kept up to date, deadlines are met, donors are appropriately engaged and recognized, and benefit commitments are upheld.
• Coordinate with the FNIH Events Team on event, conference, seminar and meeting planning as needed.
• Coordinate with the FNIH Communications Team on website updates and circulation of communication materials to donors.
• Work with the FNIH Contracts Team to execute sponsorship and other funding agreements.
• Work with other Development Associate(s) and Development Assistant to ensure smooth operations during crunch times.
• Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of three years of fundraising, sponsored research or other partnership development (external facing) experience.
• Focused and motivated self-starter, able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Great attention to detail and ability to review his/her own work for accuracy.
• Excellent writing, including experience writing proposals and communicating, in writing, to external audiences.
• Knowledge of and experience with prospect research.
• Experience working on multiple projects with deadline pressures and competing priorities.
• Experience with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and other relevant tools; including familiarity with Raiser’s Edge.
• Meaningful experience using design software, such as Publisher and Adobe (InDesign), to produce one-pagers, sponsorship forms, and other documents.
• Experience using PowerPoint to create graphically appealing presentations. • Understanding of how to conduct prospect research and produce prospect briefs and/or lists. • Strong analytical skills and ability to condense highly technical information into simple and compelling language.
Additional Salary Information: Paid twice a month
Internal Number: DAAFPI
About Foundation for NIH
The Foundation for the National Institutes of Health is a leader in addressing complex scientific and health issues. Established by the U.S. Congress to support the mission of the NIH, the FNIH is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization that brings new resources to a broad portfolio of programs and projects that enhance the activities and priorities of the NIH and the biomedical community.